When I started practising Cosmetic Chinese Acupuncture it was important to me to also use safe, natural and effective skin products. As a result, I learnt about the anti-aging effects of many Chinese herbs on the skin.
Many of my facial skin products contain Chinese herbs. Pearl Powder is my favourite and it also so easy to use at home in your own skin care routine.
Pearl Powder is made from pearls below jewellery grade. They are milled into a fine powder and has a similar consistency to talc powder. I use nano sized Pearl Powder so that it can be easily and completely absorbed by the body.
PEARL IN ANCIENT CHINA
Pearl or Zhen Zhu (“Precious Ball”), has been used for over 2000 years by Chinese women to beautify their skin. It is widely used today in China and is known for its ability to slow the signs of aging and to lighten the skin.
Pearl is documented in an ancient Chinese medical book, Ben Cao Gang or Materia Medica, the most complete and comprehensive medical book ever written in the history of traditional Chinese medicine.
It describes the ability of pearl to promote healing of the skin, stimulate new skin growth, protect the skin from sun damage and remove age spots.
The empress Wu Ze Tian (625 AD – 705 AD), China’s only female emperor, used pearl powder to maintain her beauty.
She took pearl powder daily as a medicine and applied pearl powder to her skin.
When she ascended the throne at 65 years old, her beauty had become legendary and her skin was said to be as radiant as a young woman.
Today an increasing amount of modern science supports the ancient Chinese wisdom about pearl.
1. Pearl powder has at least 30 trace minerals, along with calcium (over 90%), iron, copper, magnesium, silica, and selenium which are needed for healthy hormones, a strong immune system, and youthful skin.
2. Pearl powder contains conchiolin that will hydrate your skin and make it glow.
The beautiful luminescence of pearl comes from conchiolin. Conchiolin is a protein that hydrates skin cells, accelerate cell metabolism, facilitate the repair of damaged cells, and increase peripheral circulation.
Accelerated skin cell regeneration and metabolism helps repair sun damaged skin and fade age/sun spots and blemishes.
3. Pearl powder can stimulate the skin’s fibroblasts.
Dermal fibroblasts are cells within the dermis layer of skin which are responsible for generating connective tissue and allowing the skin to recover from injury.
4. Pearl powder can also help regenerate collagen, thus improving skin tone and reducing the signs of wrinkles.
Collagen is a protein that provides integrity, firmness and elasticity to the skin. The degradation of collagen by age, free radicals and the sun leads to wrinkles.
5. Research has also shown that pearl powder can speed up healing and reduce inflammation for various skin conditions such as redness, rashes, acne, wounds and burns.
6. Pearl powder prevents the formation of the enzymes responsible for the degradation of elastic fibers.
7. Pearl powder accelerates the growth of new cells. Resulting in smoother skin and promotes the elimination of rough patches, skin toxins, age/sun spots and blemishes.
8. Researchers believe that the minerals and amino acids of the pearls can be absorbed through the skin.
How to use Pearl Powder
Pearl powder is part of my nightly ritual. I ingest a little (about 1/4 tsp) which really has no taste at all and wash it down with some water. You could put it into your food or a smoothie anytime of the day.
I then mix a little in my palm with my choice of cream or serum for the night. Usually some extra pearl powder goes on those “larger freckles”.
Make a Mask:
- 1-2 tsp pearl powder
- 2-3 tbsp water, milk, egg white or your choice of carrier oils**
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1-3 drops of your choice of essential oils*
Mix the ingredients into a paste. Apply onto clean skin for 20 minutes. Wash off.
*Essential oils I use on aging skin are carrot seed, argan, tamanu, lemon, amyris and sandalwood.
**Carrier oils I use on aging skin are jojoba, apricot kernel, sea buckthorn and rosehip seed
Pearl powder can be purchased at the Bow Valley Acupuncture clinic